Floor finishes should be durable and appropriate for the prescribed maintenance method, but they typically contain heavy metals such as zinc. Importantly, floor finishes should be compatible with the stripping solution. Select products recognised by green certification or recognition programs (see Appendix B). The following are some of the specific issues to compare in this product category:
Prefer finishes that are more durable (require less maintenance such as buffing, restoring, and recoating) than less durable finishes that require more frequent maintenance.
Heavy metals: Prefer non-metal cross-linked polymers (e.g., zinc-free) as compared to those containing heavy metals. Another significant benefit of non-metal polymer formulas is that frequently they can be removed with less hazardous floor strippers.
- metal-free polymers.
- If possible, avoid purchasing products containing metal cross-linked (containing heavy metal) polymers.
Other Cleaning Categories and further reading
A variety of cleaners are available in the market depending on the skills and expertise required. Some of the common types are listed below.
Further information about Cleaning:
- What is Cleaning?
- Cleaning Procedure
- How to improve cleaning?
- How to train your cleaning employees?
- How to guide cleaning staff?
- How to keep and maintain communication with cleaners?
- About entryways and lobbies cleaning?
- How is dust cleaned?
- How to mop dust
- Floor care and maintenance
- How to maintain hard floor?
- Floor stripping and removal
- Buffing and burnishing techniques
- Carpet maintenance and care
- Carpet extraction and cleaning
- How to Cleaning Data Centre and Server Room?
- How to Clean Computer and Keyboard?
- How to clean your restroom
- What is disinfection?
- How to reduce solid waste?
- Pets cleaning management
- How indoor plans help in cleaning the environment?
- What are the special needs for cleaning?
- Information about cleaning products
- What are concentrated cleaning products?
- What do all-purpose cleaners mean?
- Facts about restroom cleaners
- How to disinfect your restroom?
- Facts about carpet cleaners
- What is chrome cleaner and polisher?
- What is dust treatment?
- Facts about floor finish
- Floor strippers meaning
- Information about Furniture polishes
- General degreasers
- Information on general degreasers
- General disinfectants and cleanings
- Glass cleaners
- Graffiti removers
- Gum removers
- Lime and scale removers
- What is a sanitiser?
- Solvent spot removers absorbents
- Urinal deodorisers
- Wood and stone floor coatings
- Disposable paper and plastic bags
- Selection and use of janitorial equipment
- How to clean a dry floor?