The issues associated with selecting paper products, compared to cleaning products, are simpler. Whereas cleaners may have more than a dozen individual ingredients that can vary significantly between and within categories, concerns related to paper are primarily focused at the manufacturing stage of the product. Paper has less emphasis on health issues during the product-usage stage or environmental impacts as a result of disposal.
The three basic issues of concern for paper are total recovered material (recycled content), post-consumer recycled content, and the bleaching process. Environmentally preferable (check for green certification or recognition) paper products should meet the following standards for each of the following product categories:
- Restroom tissue—100% recovered materials and 20% post-consumer content.
- Toilet seat covers—100% recovered materials and 40% post-consumer content.
- Paper towels and general-purpose industrial wipes—100% recovered materials and 40% post-consumer content.
Two further recommendations for the paper:
- No use of de-inking solvents containing chlorine or any other chemicals listed in the Toxics Release Inventory in the manufacture of paper products.
- No use of chlorine or chlorine derivatives in bleaching processes for paper products.
When selecting plastic trash bags, look for a minimum of 10% post-consumer content.
Other Cleaning Categories and further reading
A variety of cleaners are available in the market depending on the skills and expertise required. Some of the common types are listed below.
Further information about Cleaning:
- What is Cleaning?
- Cleaning Procedure
- How to improve cleaning?
- How to train your cleaning employees?
- How to guide cleaning staff?
- How to keep and maintain communication with cleaners?
- About entryways and lobbies cleaning?
- How is dust cleaned?
- How to mop dust
- Floor care and maintenance
- How to maintain hard floor?
- Floor stripping and removal
- Buffing and burnishing techniques
- Carpet maintenance and care
- Carpet extraction and cleaning
- How to Cleaning Data Centre and Server Room?
- How to Clean Computer and Keyboard?
- How to clean your restroom
- What is disinfection?
- How to reduce solid waste?
- Pets cleaning management
- How indoor plans help in cleaning the environment?
- What are the special needs for cleaning?
- Information about cleaning products
- What are concentrated cleaning products?
- What do all-purpose cleaners mean?
- Facts about restroom cleaners
- How to disinfect your restroom?
- Facts about carpet cleaners
- What is chrome cleaner and polisher?
- What is dust treatment?
- Facts about floor finish
- Floor strippers meaning
- Information about Furniture polishes
- General degreasers
- Information on general degreasers
- General disinfectants and cleanings
- Glass cleaners
- Graffiti removers
- Gum removers
- Lime and scale removers
- What is a sanitiser?
- Solvent spot removers absorbents
- Urinal deodorisers
- Wood and stone floor coatings
- Disposable paper and plastic bags
- Selection and use of janitorial equipment
- How to clean a dry floor?